No announcements at this time.
Trash Pickup Information
Leaf Pickup Map and Schedule
Brush, Leaf, and Grass Rules
Recycling & Waste Reduction District of Porter County
Brush, Leaf, and Grass Rules
The Town will pick up and remove brush for residents that perform normal pruning of trees and bushes/brush too large for the trash...
- Anything with thorns or thistles should be put into a separate pile from the brush pile.
- Branch piles should be no longer than 4 foot and no higher than 4 foot.
- All brush cut ends should be pointed in the same direction.
- The brush needs to be placed in the front of the premises.
- The Town will not pick up or handle brush or other debris from the removal of a tree that has been cut down for removal or from the clearing of a lot. It shall be the owner or occupant's responsibility for the removal of such material.
- The Town will not pick up or handle any brush or other debris from the clearing of any lot.
- The Town will not pick up more than 6 yards of brush per season.
- ABLE WILL ALSO TAKE BRUSH THAT IS BUNDLED AND NO LONGER THAN 4’ LONG AND 4’ HIGH. IT SHOULD BE PLACED OUT ON GARBAGE DAY ALONG WITH CANS. ABLE DOES NOT TAKE LEAVES.
The Town does not pick up grass clippings
Able/Republic Trash will pick up bagged grass clippings. It is important that they are only grass clippings; not leaves or brush. Please bag grass clipping and place them next to your trash bin or place bagged grass clippings in the trash bins. Trash haulers will take up to 6 bags of clippings not to exceed 50 lbs. each. If bags exceed weight limit, bags will not be picked up. Able can be reached at (219) 929-1150 Ext. 1594.
Starting about the third week of October every year for 6 weeks, or until the first snow fall, the Town of Porter will pick up leaves Monday through Friday. Leaves should be raked to the curb in front of your premises. Do not place leaves in alleyways. Do not mix loose leaves & brush together because each of these materials requires different equipment for collection. Leaf piles must not contain brush, hedge clippings, vines, grass clippings, trash, garbage, pet debris or metal objects; if so leaf pile will not be picked up. Please refer to the pick-up schedule found under the Public Works Link here. Bagged leaves may also be dropped off at the Public Works Building 550 Beam St. Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
All organic yard waste (yard waste includes ornamental grasses, bushes, shrubs; anything other than branches) needs to be taken to the Compost Site in Valparaiso at 2150 W. Lincolnway (Hwy 130 - 1 mile west of intersection with Joliet) 219-465-3694. Regular hours: Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
The Town of Public Works does not grind or remove tree stumps. You may take stumps to the Compost Site in Valparaiso at 2150 W. Lincolnway (Hwy 130 - 1 mile west of intersection with Joliet) 219-465-3694. Regular hours: Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. They will accept stumps 12” in diameter up to 6’ in length without the root ball.
Large Item Pickup
Able/Republic trash services will pick up the following: One Large item when called in to Able/Republic at (219) 929-1150 Ext. 1594.